Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oh my god, your son is HUGE!

Yes, we are very well aware that we have somehow created a giant. Braden is a mere 5.5 months and is already wearing 12 month clothes and weighing a massive 20 pounds. He's huge. I get it. I feel like I have literally spent my entire weekend fielding questions and comments on that topic, and trying to downplay his size as passersby are so intrigued as to how "YOU TWO" created "THAT". Yeah, not too sure how that happened. I just smile and nod, trying to hide my growing complex over the issue.

Brett just beams when the comments come our way. He told me today that he takes them as a compliment, and that the bigger our little monster gets, the more he can forsee his future as an athlete. He is so proud that we might have a future lineman on our hands.

I, on the other hand, can't help but get a little concerned. I am afraid that as he gets older, he'll be made fun of or develop a complex about his size. While Brett is hoping he keeps on the growth train, I am hoping he starts to slow down so that he can blend in with those his age a little easier.

We were at our friend Nancy and Bryan's son Kyle's first birthday this weekend and while Kyle, who is 6 months older than Braden, used to dwarf our little man, they are now almost the same size. Quite the eye opener. I guess until we see him next to other kids, its hard to see just how big he is. Its pretty humorous to hear people guess his age.....8 months, 9 months, a year?? Haha. Not quite.

Today, the three of us made our first trip out to the grocery store. As Brett was waiting in line at the deli counter, Little B and I made our way past the meat and seafood section where I was approached by a man with a baby carrier in his cart. Braden is too heavy to be carried in the seat, so we have resorted to sitting him in the front of the cart, the "big boy seat" as we call it. As I passed by the cart with the baby, the man looked over at me and says, (those who are parents will understand the "instant friend" scenario at stores when you have kids) "Oh he looks just a little bit older than mine". "Oh," I said, "how old is yours?" I was thinking he couldn't have been older than 6 months. "9 months". I had to laugh...."Yeah, he's 5.5. He's a big guy" As I watched the man's jaw drop, I thought to myself, "I really hope he is going to be a stellar athlete or this is going to get old very fast."

Here's to hoping.....

No comments:

Post a Comment