Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fondness makes the heart grow stronger

Ah, yes. Words of wisdom from my typically very intellectual husband. He was trying to tell me that "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and got a little confused. But I guess I'll cut him some slack. He allowed me to have a very rare and much appreciated "girls night out" last night while he stayed at home and watched Jr. It was fantastic, but I am definitely paying for it today! I literally got home, showered and have left the couch only for food or water, or to feed Braden.

My night out reminded me....I am definitely older than I feel. Not sure if its the fact that I have a child or that I live so damned far from the city is the reason that when I go out I am not dealing with the same "bounce-back" factor that I operated with in my late teens and early 20s. Probably a combination. Nope, not one part of my body re-cooperates the way it used to after a long night at KAMs back in the good old days. I am not sure HOW I used to do that so often!

Every time I sit back and think of what I used to put my body through while in Champaign, it makes me even more amazed that, A. I didn't and still don't weigh 300 lbs. and B. I somehow survived college. I'm pretty sure that a majority of at least my first 2 years of college consisted of: wake up, eat, class, eat, sleep, homework, sleep, shower, out, drink A LOT, eat, sleep, repeat; and most of the time, what I was eating was probably something with a lot of grease and a lot of cheese. I suppose that is the reason that in all of our pictures from college, my friends and I seem to have a recurring case of "face bloat." Over the years, the number on the scale may not have moved a ton, but the width of my face in pictures luckily has been decreased since those nights have ended.

Last night was a blast. I got to catch up with people I haven't seen in ages and have dinner at a BYOB sushi place (places that are non-existent out here). I definitely miss my time in the city and being so close to friends. I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but its nice to pretend to be a single, city girl once in a while. Single, of course, being a relative term :) . I felt like myself again, pre-mom, and am so grateful to have had some time away. Unfortunately, my body is used to waking up at 6 am , so I awoke, head throbbing in pain at 6:08am this morning. Rough is an understatement. After what seemed like a 2 hour drive home, I have since become a fixture on my couch. Getting off to go upstairs to bed seems like a chore. Yep, I'm having a "I'm in college again" kind of day and I kind of love it :).

No comments:

Post a Comment